Monday, December 18, 2006

Favourite Albums of 2006

So, since you've seen my playlist from last Friday's radio show, you already know what my favourite albums of the year are. Now, here's the actual numbered list. Some of my friends gave me a hard time about posting a Top 20 and not just a Top 10, but I'm thinking that if NME and Pitchfork both do Top 50 lists, then a list of 20 should be alright. Actually, figuring out the order was the toughest part of doing this, as they're all great albums.

You'll notice that Hard-Fi and Mew aren't on the list. That's because their latest albums were released in 2005 overseas, and since I'm a firm believer that if possible, music should be released worldwide at the same time, let's just say that those are indeed albums from 2005. By the way, both would have been in the top 10.

Ok, here they are - DJ Rob Gordon's 20 Favourite Albums of 2006...

1. Beck - The Information
2. Tapes ‘n Tapes - The Loon
3. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
4. Dirty Pretty Things - Waterloo To Anywhere
5. The Kooks - Inside In/Inside Out
6. Thom Yorke - The Eraser
7. The Rapture - Pieces Of The People We Love
8. Tokyo Police Club - A Lesson In Crime
9. Editors - The Back Room
10. Albert Hammond, Jr. - Yours To Keep
11. We Are Scientists - With Love & Squalor
12. The Sunshine Underground - Raise The Alarm
13. Kasabian - Empire
14. The Walkmen - A Hundred Miles Off
15. The Futureheads - News & Tributes
16. The Rakes - Capture/Release
17. The Strokes - First Impressions Of Earth
18. TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain
19. Eagles Of Death Metal - Death By Sexy
20. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones

If you have any questions or comments about the list, feel free to send me an e-mail. And, of course, let me know if I overlooked your favourite album of the year.

This Friday's Pulp Friction show on CHRW will feature the second installment of my 'best of the year' programs - some of my favourite songs from the above albums and more. So, be sure to tune in for that.