Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Jeff Buckley

I've been listening to Jeff Buckley a lot over the past few weeks; particularely his second album, "Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk". He was working on it with Tom Verlaine (from Television), when he died, and it was released posthumously in 1998.

I remember the first time I went to the Rock n' Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland, they had a big display about him. It had a couple of his guitars and jackets, a biography, and interestingly, a bunch of letters that he wrote to fans. I sat there and read them all - it took at least half an hour. He talked about his dad quite a bit, and how he wished he'd known him better. It's cool that he opened up about stuff like that to his fans, and took the time to write them back. More info on Jeff here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Buckley, and on his father Tim here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Buckley

Anyway, if you haven't ever really listened to his stuff, I'd highly recommend that you check it out. A lot of people I know say that his first album "Grace" is his best work. That may be a good place to start, but personally I prefer "Sketches".